Thursday, July 24, 2008


Yesterday was a bit upsetting for a variety of reasons. Jenn and Jewel are a package deal since Jewel is still almost completely breast fed. At Crawford Long yesterday, they said Jenn could not be with me in the pre-op area or for recovery because she had a child with her. It hasn't been a problem in the past, but evidently is now. It was a little nerve wracking to have to put on my big girl panties and do everything alone. I know it bothered Jenn a lot to just look up at a TV in the waiting room and see if I was in pre-op, op or post-op. It looked like the arrivals and departures board at the airport.

The plastic surgeon that I consulted to do the surgery sent his colleague to meet with me. He never saw me the day of the surgery, and I suspect that this "resident" physician or some doc-in-training did the surgery while he just looked on. I don't remember him EVER saying, well I'm just going to stand around and watch while someone else logs some operating hours on you for training purposes. That seems like something he might have mentioned.

BUT the anesthesiology people were awesome, truly awesome yesterday and they had me awake and alert very shortly after the surgery. Much better than other operations in the past. No nausea. The excision area seems a little tight and hurts some, but not really awfully bad. I took meds for pain all day yesterday, but since Jewel and I are hanging out today, I'm going to try and do nothing more strong than some Advil or Tylenol so that I have as much brain power as possible and am not laying on the couch drooling while I'm supposed to be keeping her. I haven't seen the spot of the surgery yet. When Jenn gets home tonight I will get her to take the bandaging off. I'm just going to live in an optimistic way until and unless I hear any information to the reverse.

We were home by 11 am yesterday, I think. Much better at getting me in and out quickly than other procedures I've endured this last year. I was thankful that Jenn and Jewel were not spending the WHOLE day at the hospital with me. I went to bed as soon as we got to her house. She fed me and kept me company some, but I was pretty much a mental miniature yesterday because of the effects of the meds.

Gosh alive! I sure am glad this application has a spell-checker! Am doing OK, and expect to be home at my house tonight. A friend of Betty's is coming to help me keep Jewel tomorrow. That's going to be nice. Well, I'm going to look for the Advil now.

Hope you and yours are doing well. Peace.


Anonymous said...

I am so glad things went well and you are doing fine. We have been praying for you.
How nice things turned out so well for a change.
Carol n SD

dgray1130 said...

You did great with your big girl panties. :) I'm sure Jen was nervous, but I'm happy it's over and you are doing well. Take it easy now. K?
Love ya Diane

Amber said...

I'm sorry that it didn't quite work out like you planned - I certainly know how that feels these days - but I am also very happy that things went as well as they did. I'm praying for a full recovery so that you feel great in time for your deadline to go back to teaching. As always, call if you need anything!

Anonymous said...

I am sooo glad that once again you did good and that it is over. My prayers are with you. Please take it easy! The schedule gets busy soon. Love, Randy