Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Power of One, or Two or Three

In our pre-internet world, it was easy to feel isolated and like nothing we did influenced other people, or that MY life, my puny life didn't make a difference. I certainly have felt isolated and useless and like no one would care one way or the other if I died or not. I had a dark pit that I fell into and that is how I felt in my really depressed days. I think folks who don't get out much or can't get out, probably do feel that way. Depression and isolation make it very easy to feel that your life just doesn't touch other people at all, and that no one would miss you or care if you left this world.

The power of this blog has been that I have gotten to see in a very special way the power of how my life and my family's life has touched other people. It amazes me how many people read this blog. People I've never met! People who wring something out of my life adventures, and who care for and about me in ways that I know and probably don't know. I am totally amazed by the people who write me, support me in countless ways -- through e-mails, prayers, phone calls, cards, goodies, books, all sorts of things (known and probably unknown). I have gotten cynical and sarcastic over the years, and yet in the last year I have seen, over and over, the good side of people. I see the most kind and astonishingly giving things done and it renews my spirit in humankind.

I see more than ever, that we are a web of people who ARE caring, and ARE giving and ARE spiritual and ARE generous. I have been the recipient of so much generous spirit....so much. My heart overflows from the generosity of spirit that has come into my life as a result of the people I interact with in the cyberworld and face-to-face. There are awful things happening in the world, but fundamentally, people are good. People are doing the best they can and are at their core caring and generous. Of course we all know exceptions to that, but I have been struck by the goodness and kindness in the world. In ways I could never expect, people have touched my life with goodness and generosity. It is humbling. It makes me want to be a better person. Remind me of this when I forget.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are loved much and admired for your courage. Thanks for sharing your journey! Love Diane