Saturday, August 25, 2007

Research on Chemotherapy Treatments

Geeeeezzzz!!! Jenn and I researched chemotherapy drugs and alternatives and clinical trials and drug options today. It is a medical nightmare because there are generic names and brand names that mean the same kind of drug. Some drugs work on the cellular level during the time period when cells are reproducing. Some drugs work on the cellular level during the time period when cells are not reproducing. My favorite drug is made from fungi and is essentially an antibiotic against cancer. I don't know how people who are not science-oriented manage to wade through this information. It took a nurse, a medical dictionary, the web and a sometimes-science-teacher a looooooooooong time to figure out the very basics. But we feel good about having mapped out some basics, and found our way through some options. I have some clear ideas about what I will or will not be doing with regard to clinical trials. In conjunction with the oncologist, I'm likely to make decisions this week which will determine much of the attack process on the enemy within. I can't tell you how wonderful it feels to have sorted through this inscruitable mass of information and come to a place of understanding from which I feel like I can actually talk with the oncologist!!

No comments: