Sunday, April 05, 2009

Poem

I was searching the townhouse up and down this evening looking for a really OLD scrapbook/picture album. While in the middle of the search, I found a relaly old poem that I wrote back in 1977 or 1978 or so. I think my daughter can enjoy it now while she has:

Helping Hands

Don't play with our records
Don't dial the phone;
Dismanteling the TV
For reasons unknown!

Floating your toys
Inside the commode;
Writing on walls
In your own little code.

Unpotting the plants
Was fun for awhile;
I saw you empty
Those drawers with a smile!

Life is more interesting
Since you came along;
There's never any telling
What next you'll do wrong.

But sweet little smiles
And wet "gooshey" kisses,
Make me glad I'm a Mommy,
Make me glad I'm a Mrs.

Joann Ward

The reference to records in the first stanza are not a reference to papers saved. It's a reference to those round things you put on your stereo and when the arm came down and settled in the grooves of plastic, you got to hear music.

I did find out that my Grandmother was born on October 28th, 1898 and that her name was Elizabeth Marion Clarke McPherson. That "e" on the end of her name was a big deal. I thought she didn't have the "e" but I was wrong. The "e" must be essential. There are about 5 parishes for the Church of Ireland in Newry. I'm hoping when I go there, I can figure out from the parish registers where my mother's sister is buried. She died in 1931 from dyptheria. I'd also like to see if I can go to city hall without it being a HUGE deal, and see if I can get a birth certificate for my mom (and maybe even her sister, Frieda). I honestly don't know where my grandmother was born. That might take more research than I have time for while there.

I thought Jenn would enjoy the poem though. I used to write a fair amount of poems, though I'm sure they're nothing special except they were words from my heart.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was special. Brought back a lot of memories. Especially the commode one. Sounds like you are up to your ears in busy. Love, R

Susan Tidwell said...

I love it!

Jenny Ward McDonald said...

I think I may print it and tape it somewhere, like the fridge, where I will see it multiple times daily. Perhaps just as those little hands go to work.

You brought tears to my eyes.

watercolordaisy said...

lovely poem! So exciting about your trip!!!

Amber said...

Loved the poem - how sweet!

Especially loved that you had to clarify what "records" are. Believe it or not, I still have a few records. Now I just need a working turntable (and room to put it).

vennersd said...

Yeah just think you want all this stuff about a woman that you say molested you when you were a child. I can`t even think that way. You know why? Because I know the truth. I know now that alot of our family problems were caused by you. I thought that after a while that you would have the decency to send me the picture album that I loaned you when our mother died. I guess that I should know by now that you and your doughter are just liers and I should not expect any differant. Bottom feeders you are. Hurry and delete this before the rest of your misguided friends see this. Just you remember! It may be a joke to you and your daughter now but I know the truth. I know the truth, of what you are.You can hide behind your false self now but the day will come that you will be judged.You may not like to see who is there waiting on you. That day is not far away.What do you think that you have left five years, ten years or twenty? So, I will leave you with this one thing before I go.I may not see it, but it will come back to you. So Goodbye and FUCK OFF BITCH!

Anonymous said...

I have always been the outsider looking in. I have seen the hurt in some peoples eyes when a hurtful thing has been said. I believe that family is very important.In this case it seems like one person doesnt forgive the other, But it also seems like you have to move on with the future instead of looking to the past. When a person believes with all their heart that something did or didnt happen. Maybe you should make the effort to not bringing up that subject again and move towards the future. Let the healing begin. I have sat back and watch no effort on either part to mend this, instead it always goes back to saying things that are hurtful.Maybe you believe that your family now, is all that you need, But I see hurting going on.
I believe I am the outsider looking in. I know on this part that you was loved and charished, But I have seen no part on your end to forget the past, Dont say hurtful things, and make a effort to mend this situation. I see a couple really smart people from where in sit. Maybe different views, But if you could see with my eyes you would know that just because a person has a strong sourthern accent they are not dumb. You are smart in one area and The other in smart in another area. Please keep this in mind, I am the outsider looking in,