Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Eyeballs

Well, I went to the eye doc today and got a real surprise. He does all kinds of fancy tests and pictures. I thought maybe my Rx had changed. What I found out instead is more information than I ever knew about eyeballs.

Eyes have two different kinds of muscles. The eye muscles that make your eyes move from side-to-side are the same kind of muscles in your legs and arms. Now there is a different kind of muscle that controls the opening and closing of the pupils. Those are smooth muscles. The other place in your body where there are smooth muscles is in your gut. So the muscles that make the pupil expand and contract in your eye, is the same kind of muscle in your intestines.

Turns out that the chemistry of chemotherapy effects the smooth muscles in your eye. My eyes aren't focusing right, not because my Rx has changed, but because the residue of the chemo in my body is causing the smooth muscles in my eye to not focus simultaneously or with much acuity. It's been eight months since my last chemo, but it's the gift that keeps on giving.

I hope you and those you love are well this day. It's all good here.

No comments: